CALL US

951-368-2227

AREAS COVERED

The Inland Empire and

North County San Diego

REVIEW US

On Google

If you are not sure your location is in the areas we cover, or if you'd just like to chat or ask a question, give us a call.

This website uses cookies to enhance our visitors website ease of use. We respect your privacy and do not share nor sell your information with any third-parties.  We take protecting your data and privacy very seriously. This website is fully compliant with the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).  View Privacy Policy.

REQUEST SERVICE BY EMAIL

How to Teach Kids to be Careful with Fire

How to Teach Kids to be Careful with Fire

 

It is common knowledge that fire is dangerous, but how do you effectively teach kids to be careful with fire? Often kids realize quickly that a bright, hot flame is dangerous, but they may not understand how dangerous it can really be. 

 

In this article, we will share some important points you can teach your child regarding fire safety. We’ve also included some reminders about fire safety for everyone with the cold weather setting in.

Why is Fire Dangerous?

Share this

  • Fire is HOT. A fire can reach very high temperatures. A fire inside a closed room can be as hot as 1,200 degrees. The air inside the room also becomes too hot, and when inhaled, it can damage the lungs.

 

  • A fire can spread fast. The size of a fire can double in just a few seconds. It takes only 30 seconds for a fire to grow to a point it cannot be controlled.

 

  • Fires make a lot of smoke. When a fire has grown in size, it gives off black smoke which makes it hard to see when escaping. Crawling allows you to see a little better compared to standing and walking. 

 

One great tip is to close the doors when escaping to prevent the spread of smoke and give you a better chance to see a path or route you can take to get out.

 

  • Fire creates toxic gas. Fire is not only dangerous because of the heat, it can also be deadly because of the toxic gas that it produces.

 

 A fire needs oxygen for it to continue burning, which is why if a particular room is on fire, the oxygen level will be low, making it hard for an individual to breathe. 

 

Breathing even small amounts of the toxic elements in the gas from the fire can make someone pass out, which makes it even harder to escape.

Five Common Causes of House Fires

1. Cooking


This is the leading cause of house fires. Many people take phone calls or get distracted with their kiddos while cooking, thus forgetting and leaving the stove on for long periods. 

 

It is crucial not to leave the stove on unattended, especially with a child helping you cook. Teach your little chefs early on that it is best to turn it off if there is a need to walk away.

 

2. Heating


Heating is the second leading cause of  fires. Sometimes it is inevitable to use a heater or wood-burning stove during winter or cold nights. Space heaters, however, should not be used in young children’s rooms unless they have an automatic shutoff when knocked over. 

 

When space heaters come in contact with window curtains, clothes left on the floor, etc. they can ignite and cause a fire. 

 

So, if you must use them in your kiddo’s rooms, because of course you need to keep your kids warm and comfortable, you should ensure that space heaters are far from objects that might catch fire and that you buy a device with an automatic shutoff. 

 

The recommended space around a space heater is 3 feet from all directions. Also, avoid placing them in the child’s walking path to prevent accidents during a midnight potty run. These two simple things can greatly reduce the possibility of a fire. 

 

Fire places should be regularly checked by professionals. In the case of wood-burning fireplaces, be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Keeping the damper or flue open until the fire is completely out will draw smoke out of the house. 

 

The damper can be checked by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror. This can be something fun to do with your kids.

 

Additional tips to keep you and your kids safe in a home with a fireplace:

 

  • If your gas fireplace is turned on with a switch on the wall, use a gate or cover the switch to prevent your child from turning the gas or fireplace on.

 

  • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house. If you leave the room while the fire is burning or the fireplace is still hot, take your small child with you.

 

  • Minimize your child's chance of burns and accidental fires from embers by using safety screens.

 

  • Put fireplace tools and accessories out of a young child's reach. Also, remove any lighters and matches. 

 

  • Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.

 

3. Smoking

 

The third leading cause of home fires is smoking. Some people still like to smoke indoors and sometimes forget their cigarette butts that are still burning. A fire can start immediately once these butts come in contact with a flammable surface. 

 

It is recommended that smokers should smoke outside the house. This is better for fire safety as well as the general health of kids, although, there can be many flammable things around the exterior of a home as well. 

 

Another tip to teach your kids is if they ever see a cigarette still lit, douse it with water to make sure that the fire has been completely extinguished.

 

4. Electrical

Electrical wiring that has not been checked for too long can be another cause of fire. Most of the time, this type of fire starts because of a short-circuit or cracked cords, which send sparks to flammable surfaces. 

 

It is always recommended for children to be taught not to play with any part of the electrical system, but you could have fun inspecting the electrical wiring of your house together, teaching your kiddos what danger signs to look for while making sure that everything is in good shape. 

 

Always remember to never overload circuits as this is another primary reason why electrical circuits cause fire.

 

5. Candles

Candles produce open flames which can be dangerous and are a common cause of house fire. It is recommended to switch to battery-operated candles to maintain safety. 

 

If an open-flame candle is needed, always keep in mind to never leave it burning by itself in a room or where kids can reach them. Candles should never be lit inside a child’s room.

Teaching Kids to be Careful with Fire

It is essential to teach children why they must never play with fire since they are playful and tend to ignore their surroundings. Educating them can be the difference between safety and disaster. It is also important for them to know how to respond to a situation in case a fire would break out. 

 

Some of the tips that parents can use are as follows:
 

  • Educate children to never play with matches or lighters.

 

  • Help them understand that fire is not something to be played with and that everyone should be cautious when dealing with fire.

 

  • Explain, or maybe show children, that fire can spread quickly in a short amount of time, so they should find help as soon as possible. 

 

  • Teach children to exercise caution when near a fire and how to Stop, Drop, and Roll in the event their clothes or hair were to catch on fire.

 

  • Explain that playing with fire can cause serious injury, especially if it comes in contact with the skin. So, don’t try to be a hero, rather get help immediately!

 

  • Teach them that keeping flammable objects away from ovens, heaters, stovetops, lighters, and matches can help prevent fire. So, no sock ball fights or flying paper airplanes when someone’s cooking in the kitchen or when the fireplace is open!

 

Why Choose Five Star Restoration?

Whenever a home has been through a fire, it not only has damage from the fire but also from the smoke and the water used in suppressing the fire. It is important to know who to call in a stressful time like this to get the help you need right away. 

 

Five Star Restoration will help from start to finish; from filing an insurance claim to salvaging as many items as possible, as well as removing affected materials and smoke odor and repairing the fire and smoke damage.

 

Trusting our team to help you every step of the way can not only minimize your stress but also your out of pocket costs to get your home or business back in order.

Choose the Local Experts in Fire and Water Damage Restoration - Talk to Five Star

Save time and money with experts. Five Star Restoration has all the specialized equipment needed for the job as well as knowledgeable and certified professionals to use it. 

 

Call us now at (951) 368-2227 for a free estimate!
 

Tags: teach kids to be careful with fire, fire safety for kids, fire safety tips for kids, tips for teaching fire safety for kids, fire safety for children, common causes of house fires

Share this