In the Inland Empire, where our community enjoys everything from stunning landscapes to vibrant urban centers, ensuring the safety of our homes is a priority. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a silent hazard that can infiltrate any home, causing potential harm without warning. That's why carbon monoxide detectors are a crucial component of home safety.

In this guide, we'll explain everything you need to know about carbon monoxide detectors and help you keep your home and family safe.

How Does a Carbon Monoxide Detector Work?

A carbon monoxide detector is a small device that plays a big role in keeping your home safe. It's designed to alert you when there are unsafe levels of carbon monoxide (CO) in the air. But how does it actually do this?

Inside a carbon monoxide detector, there's a sensor that continuously checks the air for carbon monoxide. When the amount of carbon monoxide in the air increases to a dangerous level, the sensor reacts and triggers the alarm. This alarm is loud enough to wake you up if you're sleeping, giving you time to evacuate and address the source of the CO or call for help if necessary.

There are a few different types of carbon monoxide detectors, but they all serve the same purpose—to detect CO gas and alert you before it poses a severe health risk. Some use a chemical reaction that changes color when CO is present, while others use electronic sensors that measure electrical currents affected by CO levels. Either way, when the detector senses too much CO, it sounds an alarm to let you know that something needs to be checked out.

Do I Really Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Absolutely. Every home with at least one fuel-burning appliance, attached garage, or fireplace should have a carbon monoxide detector.

For homes in the Inland Empire, where temperature fluctuations can lead to frequent use of heating systems, having functional CO detectors is even more critical.

They are not just a safety measure but a necessary tool for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Why is Carbon Monoxide So Dangerous?

The reason carbon monoxide is so hazardous is that it interferes with our blood’s ability to carry oxygen. Carbon monoxide is particularly treacherous because it is odorless and colorless, earning it the nickname "the Invisible Killer."

When inhaled, CO quickly binds with hemoglobin in the blood, blocking oxygen from getting to our organs.

Without timely intervention, this lack of oxygen can lead to serious health issues, including permanent organ damage or even death. Let’s look at common CO poisoning symptoms to be aware of.

Each year, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for approximately 430 deaths in the United States. Additionally, it leads to around 50,000 emergency department visits nationwide, emphasizing the need for vigilant safety measures in homes and workplaces.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning might be mistaken for the flu, as they include:

This is why it’s crucial, especially in enclosed spaces and during colder months when heaters are in use, to have effective carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. These detectors are lifesavers, providing an early warning that can help you take action before it’s too late.

At Five Star Restoration, we are committed to promoting carbon monoxide safety in the Inland Empire. We strongly encourage all homeowners to regularly check their CO detectors and ensure that any fuel-burning appliance is up to date on service checks. Your safety is our priority, and we believe that staying informed and prepared is the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones from the dangers of carbon monoxide.

But where should you place your CO detectors?

Where Should You Place Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

The placement of carbon monoxide detectors can impact their effectiveness.

To ensure optimal protection, consider the following guidelines:

In the Inland Empire, where many homes use gas stoves or heaters or have attached garages, following these placement tips is especially important to safeguard against carbon monoxide buildup.

What Can Cause a Carbon Monoxide Alarm to Go Off?

Several common household sources can lead to elevated levels of carbon monoxide, triggering an alarm:

For residents in areas like Moreno Valley or San Bernardino, regular appliance maintenance and awareness of proper generator use can prevent these risks.

What Happens If My Carbon Monoxide Detector Beeps?

If your CO detector beeps, it’s crucial to take immediate action:

The Risk of Carbon Monoxide from Gas-Powered Generators

Gas-powered portable generators are a significant source of carbon monoxide (CO) primarily because they burn gasoline to generate electricity. This combustion process, if incomplete, releases carbon monoxide—a dangerous gas that can quickly build up to lethal levels, especially in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.

Since these generators are often used during power outages, sometimes in emergency conditions, there's a risk of improper use that can lead to accidental CO poisoning.

Safe Usage of Portable Generators to Avoid CO Poisoning

To ensure the safe operation of a gas-powered generator and prevent carbon monoxide buildup, follow these guidelines:

Using portable generators responsibly and understanding the risks of carbon monoxide can help prevent tragic accidents and ensure that these useful devices are a benefit, not a hazard, during power outages.

Final Thoughts on Carbon Monoxide Detectors

For the residents of the Inland Empire, ensuring the safety of your home with carbon monoxide detectors is a vital step in protecting your family from this invisible hazard. At Five Star Restoration, we encourage all homeowners to install and maintain their CO detectors properly. If you have any concerns about carbon monoxide or need help ensuring your home is safe, contact us for a consultation. We’re here to help make every home in Riverside, Temecula, and beyond a safer place.

Ready to take the next step in ensuring your home is protected against carbon monoxide? Contact Five Star Restoration today for expert advice and services tailored to the unique needs of Inland Empire residents. Stay safe and take action to prevent CO hazards in your home.

questions about your restoration project?

If you are not sure your location is in the areas we cover, or if you'd just like to chat or ask a question, give us a call.

Fill out our form and we'll get back to you in a jiffy!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Serviced 200+
Happy Customers
Restoration with a purpose

the five star promise

We are committed to an excellent finished product and even better customer service. Rest assured that when we show up for your restoration needs, you'll be informed, confident and stress-free.

  • Emergency service
  • Available 24/7
  • Licensed & insured
  • Free consultation
  • Well known reputation
  • Affordable rates
  • Trusted & recommended
  • No upfront costs
LIC # 1059784
find us

servicing the inland empire and north county san diego
26697 Pierce Circle
Murrieta, ca 92562

*All financing is subject to credit approval. Your terms may vary. Payment options through Wisetack are provided by our
lending partners. For example, a $1,000 purchase could cost $45.18 a month for 24 months, based on a 7.9% APR, or $333.33 a month for 3 months, based on a 0% APR. See additional terms at