Mold is everywhere, including inside your home. Can you paint over mold? Find out answers to mold-related questions, and learn about (and debunk) common mold myths.
Mold is an ever-present threat in any building with mold spores and is a reliable water source. All it takes is a flooded basement, a busted sump pump, or heavy rainfall. With that in mind, property owners likely have some pressing mold-related questions. What are mold myths? Can you paint over mold? Will mold go away on its own?
Let's break it down.
Firstly, yes, you can technically paint over mold. But do you want to?
After all, painting over toxic mold doesn't kill it.
Will it eliminate an unsightly mold growth on the surface you want to paint? Sure, but the mold will remain. And, eventually, you'll need to call in professionals for mold remediation.
In short, save that new coat of paint for when you remove mold in your home.
You may have seen mold paints and primers that proudly advertise that they are able to stop or kill mold.
However, there's a caveat; these paints only show effectiveness if the surface has already been treated by mold professionals. The paint aims to prevent further mold growth over a problem area. These primers and paints act as preventative measures rather than proactive solutions to get rid of mold easily.
No, you can not kill the mold and mildew with paint. If only it were that easy!
So, in short, you can't cover up massive mold growth with a simple coat of paint.
And mold is more than a mere blemish on a wall in your home; it's a health hazard. As such, the solution isn't to cover it with a coat of paint. What you need are mold removal professionals at Five Star. We can teach you what to do to prevent rampant mold growth and clean surfaces in your home.
Five Star mold removal experts identify the mold species during our initial diagnostic, locate the mold source, and remove the mold quickly.
Painting over mold doesn't solve anything; it only delays the inevitable mold removal down the line.
That said, let's look at some mold-related questions and determine whether they're fact or fiction.
You now know mold removal isn't as easy as applying a coat of paint to a growth. It's time to examine common mold myths.
While it's a positive sentiment that would make life a lot easier, it's never recommended to tackle a mold growth problem on your own. It can be highly toxic and lead to negative symptoms like nausea, vomiting, runny nose, and respiratory issues.
Mold removal professionals are the experts you should call on if you're aware of a mold problem. Mold removal professionals have top-of-the-line equipment and treatments that kill mold and treat problem areas of the home.
You can't avoid mold. It's everywhere, and we mean everywhere. And it has always been. It's just a matter of how severe mold growth is.
If you want to discourage mold growth in your home, try a few methods.
According to the Center For Disease Control (CDC), do the following:
Everyone is affected by mold the longer they're exposed. While those with underlying health issues have extra cause for concern if mold is present, prolonged mold exposure can present concerning symptoms.
Never use bleach to remove mold.
Firstly, bleach has water, which can turn your mold-killing effort on its head. Second, bleach can damage wood in your home.
Most striking of all is the potential for creating deadly chemicals. Mixing bleach with cleaning products with ammonia in them, for example, creates chloramine gas.
Chloramine gas is deadly to people and animals alike.
While your first inclination may be to treat mold growth with bleach, trust us, it's just not worth it. That's why, as much as we love the spirit of the DIY approach, we cannot condone any DIY mold removal efforts.
Again, you can't paint over mold and expect it to disappear. Likewise, it's essential to have your home inspected for any water leaks that will lead to mold. And never try to treat mold growth with bleach!
Now that you know mold facts from fiction, you can look for mold growths, potential sources, and when to call a mold removal expert.
It's never a good idea to take a chance with mold. Again, it's much more than a musty smell in a basement; it's a potential health hazard for families.
With Five Star Restoration, homes with mold have a fighting chance. Give the mold remediation experts at Five Star Restoration a call to discuss our diagnostic visit to your home.
All it takes is a flooded home, no airflow, and mold is free to grow. Don't let mold get a toxic hold on your home; call Five Star today.
If you are not sure your location is in the areas we cover, or if you'd just like to chat or ask a question, give us a call.
We are committed to an excellent finished product and even better customer service. Rest assured that when we show up for your restoration needs, you'll be informed, confident and stress-free.